Sunday, June 6, 2010

College freshmen and research projects (part two)

All right, now to the flip-side of college freshmen and research projects. Many have told me that they were initially shocked at the fact that they had choices as to topic and project format. They tell me that they appreciate this freedom of choice. YAY!

So, what kinds of projects am I seeing now? Well, I am still getting some papers and powerpoints (see my previous post), but more and more are creative:

textmapping several chapters from a music theory textbook

video depicting an overview of Van Gogh's life

board game using famous art works

video of rap song describing the Black Plague

Map with points plotted and annotated about a specific USAF squad during WWII; the journey through Missouri by Lewis and Clark; and airports where the student pilot had landed

a scrapbook diary about the volcanic eruption of Mt. Krakatoa, Indonesia August 26 - 28, 1883 -- from the point of view of the volcano

a scientific experiment about the rate of fluid absorption in soil at crime scenes

a lesson plan geared toward lower elementary students about AIDS/HIV

many, many children's books about a wide range of topics

....to name a few.

Students submit these projects with pride in their work and stories of the process of planning, creating, and completing the project. They are interested and engaged. They crave feedback and an audience. They enjoy seeing their classmates' work. They learn about the topic they have researched and how to manage information. They are successful!

By extension, I am encouraged to continue my current path. As my students' learning evolves, so does my teaching. I am excited and hopeful for what will come as student confidence grows and even more amazing tools are developed. I can't wait to see what happens next!

No comments: